** Trigger warning. This site contains descriptions of mental health crisis', sensitive topics and mentions of suicide.

Monday 20 March 2017

Simply Good

Good. It’s not usually the first thing that pops into my head when someone asks me how I’m doing. I might say it… but I don’t always mean it. Sometimes telling people that you’re not okay is even more stressful than lying – than telling them that I’m okay when I’m not.

But today… today I realised that when I was asked how I was feeling – ‘Good’ was my answer and it wasn’t even a lie. I was happy, I was energetic within reason, I was feeling light - I was good.

I think it’s important to take note of these days.  It’s good to mark them on the calendar, journal about them, or to simply share them with someone else. Because sometimes ‘good’ is so far out of grasp, that I need the reminder. Sometimes good seems like a fantasy - a mythical thing that is always out of my reach.

Of course, life isn’t easy. I still struggle. Some days are still way harder than others. I had a recent bout of depression. I’m struggling with working through some things and continuously face triggers, challenges, sadness, and anger. I've had some recent physical pain. I take pills for my mood and for my sleep – they work great, but the side effects suck. My long-term mood isn’t magically better because I feel good for a day.

But feeling good for a day, or two, or three can help. These days ground me. They bring me to a place where I can learn and assess, acknowledge and forget, forgive and find peace. I can do nothing or I can make plans. I can work with ease and I can interact normally. While there is still ‘stuff’ in my head – it’s like a movie on pause for a few minutes while I take a breather.

Today, the words ‘good’, ‘fine’, and ‘okay’, are simply words in my vocabulary. They aren’t covering up some hidden depression, or internal battle, or some urge to either cry or scream.

I have to admit – that sometimes, ‘good’, is even scary. Sometimes good has been a distant memory for so long that it’s new and it’s terrifying and I even want to fight good – find something to bring me back to familiarity – even if that familiarity is anything but good.

Thankfully, today I am just good. I am not running from it. I’m enjoying the calm and the peace; the breath that I desperately needed away from the constant negativity of myself. Today I am smiling and I am laughing. I am thinking, but not overthinking. I am learning and I am growing and I am holding onto this feeling for as long as I can.

It simply just feels good.

No comments: