** Trigger warning. This site contains descriptions of mental health crisis', sensitive topics and mentions of suicide.

Wednesday 7 January 2015

Moment by moment.

I woke up this morning.
And my first thought was; Oh my gosh, how am I going to get through today, and tomorrow and this week and this month... and... and... and...
My mind immediately went into overdrive. I began to panic, my pulse started to race, my thoughts soared out of control and I wanted to shut down. So I did the best thing that I could do in the moment:
I got out of bed.
I focused on the small task of climbing out of bed and making it (so I wouldn't crawl back in) and moving out to the kitchen. And then I put all of my attention on the task of making myself my morning cup of tea. After that I focused on having a shower and getting dressed, next it was starting the laundry, etc... 
It isn't an easy pattern to pick up and when you are feeling overwhelmed it might seem nearly impossible. Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who is an amazing support person and who can remind me that I don't need to panic, that I can calm down and live in the moment. Our basic needs are met. We have food and clothing and a house to live in and so I don't need to panic at the thought of what next week, tomorrow, or even later today will bring. 
I only need to live moment by moment.

No comments: