** Trigger warning. This site contains descriptions of mental health crisis', sensitive topics and mentions of suicide.

Friday 6 March 2015

A sliver of happiness

Sometimes I need to remind myself it isn't all bad. Even in recovery, there are days that seem darker than the rest, shadowed with unspoken thoughts, negativity and anxiety.
So I'm learning to remind myself.
Winter is a difficult time for me right now but even if I weren't still recovering from a serious bout of depression, it isn't my favourite time of the year. The air is frigid, I feel more isolated, and the world just feels darker and less friendly. With the thick layer of snow and the temperatures that haven't reached above zero (Celsius) since January, it feels like it's never going to end. It's starting to really trigger me. Thankfully I've made a friend recently who invited me out this week for a coffee date and an opportunity to explore a new hobby - my camera. It was with my friend, looking out at the same blanket of white stuff, with the icy wind chilling me to the bone that I was able to remind myself... find something positive. It wasn't the easiest task, but I managed to find the beauty, find a way to remind myself that it isn't all bad. It's something that I need to work on with every other trigger in my life, but at least for now it's a start.
I'm glad that I pushed myself to see the beauty, to find one positive thing to focus on to get me through the next few weeks of winter. Slowly I'm finding happiness - a sliver at a time.

No comments: